Saturday, August 05, 2006

New "What About Brian?" ScreencapsNew screencaps, courtesy of the Sarah-lancaster.com


New "What About Brian?" Screencaps

New screencaps, courtesy of the Sarah-lancaster.com fan page, are up on the Peggy Li Creations Press page.

plcpeggy

Cell Phone or Backpack Charms Even I was surprise...
Cell Phone or Backpack Charms

Even I was surprised at how big these went over with my test audience! Tonite while my son was at karate, I took some old glass beads my mom had given me (she'd made them years ago...they are torched onto copper tubes), put them on headpins using a wrapped loop, and attached to Rings N Things cell phone lariats. The beads themselves I classify as "orphans"...even though there are some that are the same colors, the shapes are a little off and the beads are less than "perfect", but still, they are very nice beads!

I thought the final product was pretty cool and might go over well for the female tween and teen crowd at the fair this weekend, but I didn't anticipate my son, and his MALE friends at the karate class going ga-ga over them.

I had 8-13 year old boys hanging around looking at what I'd done, picking out their favorites. My son nabbed one, then another and finally asked if he could have a third. Those big puppy dog eyes, how could I resist? Back home, he instantly attached it to his backpack for school (which starts up again in about 3 weeks!) and pronounced it "sweet".

You won't have any of these particular beads in your boxes, they're one of a kind, but my point is that these charms are a great use for those oddball, won't go with anything else beads. I also think charms or beads shaped like soccer balls, basketballs or footballs would be great for boys...unfortunately I'm thinking about it a bit too late for THIS show, but I'll be hunting down some supplies for future ones!

Beading Help Web Editorial Team

Marlowe & Company Jewellers
Planning a weekend trip to the Wine Country? Stop by Marlowe & Company Jewellers in St. Helena, California to view over 20 unique contemporary North American jewelry designers. In addition to my Sonoma, Monterey, and SoMa collections, you will be able to view four unique jewelry collections for men coming in mid-August.

Marlowe is located at 1204 Main Street, St. Helena, CA. 707-963-9656

jbrana@johnsbrana.com (John S Brana)

Why Almost Girl Is NOT a Book
Now I used to be rather a fan of the chick-lit genre with its endless parade of lovely women with lovely lifestyles fighting to find Mr. Right and the perfect career. I used to think that Almost Girl is a compelling story right? Maybe I should have book deal for a chick-lit novel all about [...]

Mea Culpa!
So sorry there was no book review on Friday - Ryan and I got hit with the first virus of the year last Wednesday and neither of us felt like doing anything until Saturday. But, on the upside, said virus didn't arrive until March 1st...which is a decided improvement over the last two years where the kid has brought home every bug under the sun starting in November and lasting until May!!

But, this means there'll be a nice, juicy review this Friday instead of the semi-lame "one book" entries I've had the past few weeks so stay tuned for that.

After recovering from the illness de la semaine (as opposed to "du jour" because it lasted more than one day), I was able to get a pair of earrings done:


Czech glass and citrine on vermeil earring tops form these 2.5" earrings. This is a new color combo I haven't tried before and I'm quite happy with it. They're up on the site for sale as of today.

I also hit a bead show this weekend and managed to come away with a few goodies despite my currently very limited budget. Luckily, I had a few orders come in this week plus an advance from a customer on a custom job so I did have some funds to spend. Haven't had a chance to scan the loot yet, but will put up pictures (of course) when I do.

Lastly, I had hoped to post and talk about some of the Oscar fashions and jewelry, but sadly, I missed almost all of the red carpet fun due to a cold medicine-induced coma...grrr!

I did catch a few glimpses and so far, my faves were Jessica Alba's gold dress and yellow diamond jewelry and Felicity Huffman's black dress and the fabulous diamond pin in the back of her hair. I normally don't care for black on the red carpet because I figure, well, it's black and can be done any old time, but that dress really fit her perfectly and her hair and makeup were just sensational. If there was any little thing I could pick on it was that the daring neckline on the dress exposed the fact that the girl needs to EAT something! You could see and count every single rib and that's not attractive. Reese Witherspoon's dress was AMAZING and I'm so glad she won!

As for missteps, I couldn't believe Charlize Theron's getup. That dress was hideous...totally overpowered her, unflattering in the hip area and photographed a dirty, dingy gray instead of the forest green it supposedly was. Plus, I thought her hair was kind of old lady-ish. Killer shoes, though, Charlize. Really!

I didn't like Michelle Williams's dress, either. The mustard color did nothing for her, the bodice looked like it didn't fit her and the draping over the hips and pelvis hit in exactly the wrong spot. I also didn't care for Nicole Kidman's dress. It looked too much like a bridal gown and I thought it was just totally the wrong color choice considering how much she's bleached out her skin and hair lately. Also, she's another one who needs to EAT SOMETHING SOON! I'm so tired of "thin" and "slender" being replaced with "skeletal" and "consumptive." I'd like to see Nicole go back to the days of the wild, curly red hair and maybe allow herself a teensy bit of healthy color instead of her "bride of Dracula" pallor. Scary. Lastly, I didn't care for Keira Knightly's necklace. I mean, let's face it, she's a woman who could be dressed in sackcloth and ashes and look fabulous so I realize that I'm picking the world's smallest nit, but it WAS too much for the neckline of her dress which was quite complicated enough on its own. That one detail kept her from being quite as totally fabulous as she could have been.

You know what the really sad thing is? George Clooney put EVERYONE else - male and female alike - to shame. Damn, that is one HOT guy.

Sigh.

KJ


Silver Parrot