Thursday, September 21, 2006

My House Has GasI don't mean radon.Earlier in the week,


My House Has Gas
I don't mean radon.

Earlier in the week, it sounded like our house had gas. Whenever we ran water, it was followed by a funny little noise; the kind that makes you want to look around, say excuse me, and then giggle uncontrollably.

Thankfully, my husband is a mechanical genius. And we have a chemist friend who clued us into the fact that drain cleaner = chlorine bleach.

When I was a kid I always thought bleach laundry was something to be avoided, on an environmental basis. But when the environment outside, in the form of tree roots, began to encroach on essential household functions, such as indoor plumbing, my pre-conceived notions came up for re-examination.

What works for us? Occasionally running a gallon or so of cheap chlorine bleach through our out-going pipes. It beats calling a plumber.

So sorry. This post had nothing to do with the mission of this blog. I'll get back to it.

Rebecca