Monday, September 18, 2006

Wearing a Black Outfit with Brown AccessoriesIs wearing brown shoes

Wearing a Black Outfit with Brown Accessories
Is wearing brown shoes with a black outfit, or vice versa, a big fashion don't?

I suggest it can be done if the shoe color is repeated again in the outfit and/or the personal coloring. (Did I mention my eyes are brown? And they are framed with these? So that's a triple: eyes, belt, shoes.)

In the comments on my recent Frugal Friday post, Simple Color Scheme, Jennifer asks some challenging questions, resulting in my resolve to wear this outfit today. Testing my hypothesis on myself seemed the honorable thing to do.

About the photo: the light is a little bit tricky here. My face, what little you can see of it, looks washed out because the light is coming over the fence behind me. I love how you can see the pattern on the jacket, though! It's my new favorite coat, feels like wearing a bedspread. And the color of the shirt is not right at all; it looks like hot pink when in fact it's a muted watermelon.

More on the length-balancing aspects of putting together an outfit like this can be found in my review of the cover of the book How to Be a Budget Fashionista by Kathryn Finney.
Rebecca